- 100g castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 70g honey
- 300g self-raising flour
- 80g butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 dessert apples: peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
Honey apple sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
Pour honey and apple juice or cider into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir sauce constantly until the mixture thickens to required consistency. Spoon warm sauce over the top and sides of honey-and apple cake and serve immediately.
This moist honey and apple cake is a delicious dessert alternative for any dinner party or holiday gathering and sure to become a well-loved family favourite.
- Heat oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas mark 4 and grease a 20cm take tin.
- Add sugar, honey and eggs to mixing bowl and whisk with electric mixer for around ten minutes, until mixture is pale and fluffy in texture.
- Cut softened butter into small squares and beat into mixture.
- Sieve flour and add to mixture, along with cinnamon and apple pieces. Beat mixture until all ingredients are combined well.
- Spoon cake mixture into greased cake tin and place in hot oven for around 45 minutes. Check cake after 25 minutes. If top has browned sufficiently cover with foil to ensure it does not burn.
- Test cake with a skewer before removing from oven – there should be no uncooked mixture in the middle of the cake.
- Drizzle honey over top of cake and dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Serve with cream or thick honey and apple sauce or ice cream.